A comprehensive photographic field guide to the mammals of Great Britain and Ireland
Britain’s Mammals is a comprehensive and beautifully designed photographic field guide to all the mammals recorded in the wild in Great Britain and Ireland in recent times-including marine mammals, bats and introduced species that have bred. The book features 500 stunning photographs and incorporates invaluable tips and suggestions to help you track down and identify even the most difficult species.
This easy-to-use book provides an introduction to the different types of mammal. Concise species accounts focus on identification, and include up-to-date information on sounds, habitat, food, habits, breeding behaviour, and population and status, as well as descriptions of key field signs-including tracks, droppings and nests-that give away the presence of mammals even when they are out of sight. Guidance is also provided on ways of studying and observing mammals-including small-mammal trapping, bat detecting and whale watching. In addition, the book contains sections on mammal conservation, legislation and further sources of useful information. Handy and informative, this guide is the ideal companion for anyone interested in watching mammals in Great Britain and Ireland.
- Comprehensive coverage of all 126 mammal species recorded
- 500 superb colour photographs carefully selected to show key identification features
- Up-to-date distribution maps
- Detailed illustrations of tracks, dentition and other identification features
- Helpful tips for identifying tracks and other signs you may encounter
- Latest information on status, population, distribution and conservation designations
- Advice on finding and watching mammals